Saturday, October 04, 2008

Mommy, I have a question.....

Chloe: Mommy, I have a big question....how do I put this....hmm. Well do you remember when I was borned?
Me: Of course I remember when you were born. That is one thing I am guaranteed to never forget.
Chloe: Um, well, this is going to be a long talk mom. Ok? You know babies...when they're in mommy's tummy's? And they cut the baby out of the mommy's tummy's?

I had to stop her there and explain that only sometimes they "cut the babies out". How graphic and weird is that?

Chloe: Where do, um, the babies go? You know after that?
Me: They come out into the world and to mommy's and daddy's house so we can love them and teach them.
Chloe: Well, what I'm trying to ask is, well, um, where are the babies before they go into your tummy? Where are they? I just don't know where they are first...you know?

At this point I was like, holy shit. I knew I was going to be splainin this soon enough but it was kinda unexpected.

Me: Ok, babe. Well moms have these things called eggs, not like chicken eggs, but super duper tiny little eggs that live in here (I showed her on my body) and dads have these little things that look like super tiny tadpoles. The little tadpoles and the little eggs come together and they make a baby. It starts out really small and it grows and grows for 9 months and when it's all ready...out comes the baby!
Chloe: Wow...I have to think about this. Can we talk about this some more some other time....?

She walks off and it's done. For now.

2 comments:

Anth said...

Eek! That is so scary. Well handled!

Angie said...

I think you handled that very well. Kids are so curious.